The “Leaders on Board” e-Learning Program is a comprehensive nonprofit board governance course designed for professionals. It is a practical, convenient and affordable guide designed to provide you with what you need to know when serving on a nonprofit board.
It starts with an environmental scan of the Canadian nonprofit sector. It discusses the concept of nonprofit governance, including the three mental maps of governance and the three models of board decision-making. It provides an overview of the Canadian legal environment in which nonprofits operate. It covers the ten responsibilities of a board and the two principal duties of board directors. It also covers the five responsibilities of board directors as well as the risks and liabilities that they may face. The program concludes with some practical tips on how you can find the right nonprofit board on which to serve
This program is based on Skills4Good/B3’s accredited Continuing Professional Development webinar that we recently produced for the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), the largest professional association representing some 36,000 lawyers, judges, notaries, law teachers and law students from across Canada. Skills4Good/B3 has been approved as an Accredited Provider of Professionalism Content by the Law Society of Upper Canada. This program forms part of the Skills4Good/B3 Board Matching & Training Program that we provide the high-potential employees of our large corporate clients.
- Lesson 1: What are Nonprofits? Features of Nonprofits (4 min)
- Lesson 2: Types of Nonprofits. Comparing Nonprofits & Businesses (8 min)
- Lesson 3: The Canadian Nonprofit Sector. Canadian Legal Environment for Nonprofits. Legally Distinguish Charities & Nonprofits (7 min)
- Lesson 4: Nonprofit's Lifecycle Stages (11 min)
- Module 1: Quick Quiz
- Module 1: Additional Resources
- Module 1: Transcript
- Lesson 1: What Is Governance? What is a Board of Directors? (5 min)
- Lesson 2: Why is Good Governance Important? Governance vs Management (6 min)
- Lesson 3: Three Modes of Good Governance: Fiduciary, Strategic & Generative (4 min)
- Lesson 4: Three Models for Board Governance: Working, Governance-Only & Mixed Model (7 min)
- Module 2: Quick Quiz
- Module 2: Additional Resources
- Module 2: Transcript
- Lesson 1: One: Determine Mission. Two: Select CEO. (9 min)
- Lesson 2: Three: Manage the CEO. Four: Undertake Strategic Thinking. (7 min)
- Lesson 3: Five: Monitor & Evaluate Programs. Six: Ensure Adequate Financial Resources. (6 min)
- Lesson 4: Seven: Provide Financial Oversight. Eight: Build a Competent Board. (7 min)
- Lesson 5: Nine: Ensure Legal & Ethical Integrity. Ten: Enhance Nonprofit's Public Standing. (8 min)
- Module 3: Quick Quiz
- Bonus BoardSource Material: The Top Five Ways to Mess Up Hiring the Right CEO
- Bonus BoardSource Material: How to Conduct a Chief Executive Assessment in 10 Steps
- Module 3: Additional Resources
- Module 3: Transcript
- Lesson 1: Fiduciary Duty. What is Conflict of Interest? Why Conflicts of Interest Should Concern Boards. (8 min)
- Lesson 2: Conflict of Interest: Tools & Strategies. Tips for Avoiding Conflict of Interest. (6 min)
- Lesson 3: Duty of Care: Compliance, Transparency & Accountability. The Business Judgment Rule. (8 min)
- Lesson 4: Liabilities & Risk Management. Types of Risk. Ways to Reduce Risk & Liability. (8 min)
- Module 4: Quick Quiz
- Bonus BoardSource Material: Tips for Developing a Mission Statement
- Bonus BoardSource Material: 9 Characteristics of a Mission Statement
- Bonus BoardSource Material: Elements of a Strategic Plan
- Bonus BoardSource Material: Fundraising Communications Toolkit
- Module 4: Additional Resources
- Module 4: Transcript
- Lesson 1: Be Committed to the Mission. (4 min)
- Lesson 2: Attend Board Meetings. (4 min)
- Lesson 3: Develop Staff Relationships. (4 min)
- Lesson 4: Support Fundraising. (4 min)
- Lesson 5: Serve as Ambassador. (4 min)
- Module 5: Quick Quiz
- Bonus BoardSource Material: Crisis Communications: Four Things Your Board Needs to Know
- Bonus BoardSource Material: What Makes a Good Board Member
- Module 5: Additional Resources
- Module 5: Transcript
Program Content25 HD Videos + 6 Quick Quizzes +
8 Bonus BoardSource Materials + Additional Resources
Why will you benefit from the program?
This program will help you succeed.
- If you’re considering serving on a nonprofit board, this program will help demonstrate your commitment to the sector and confirm that you’re prepared to shine from day one
- If you’re already serving on a board, this program will fine tune your skills and ensure that you receive broader sector-wide perspectives to ensure your skills are transferable
- If you’re bringing in new directors to your board, you can let them take this program as part of their orientation so that they’ll be more equipped to serve on your board
The Leaders on Board program will provide you with the fundamentals of serving on a nonprofit board. It’s a high-quality program that’s practical, convenient and affordable.
This program is practical.
It’s woven with BoardSource case studies and presented in a clear and visually appealing manner - free from academic jargon.
This program is convenient.
It’s designed so that you can take each lesson in about ten minutes or less whether from your desktop, mobile phone or tablet - anytime and anywhere.
This program is affordable.
It’s reasonably priced at a fraction of the cost of other board governance courses - so that you save both time and money.
Josephine Victoria Yam, J.D., LLM.
CEO & Co-Founder, Skills4Good/B3
Meet Your Instructor
Josephine is a highly accomplished lawyer with significant years of legal, policy, leadership and entrepreneurial experiences in the private, public and nonprofit sectors in Canada and internationally. She’s been admitted to practice law in New York (USA), Alberta (Canada), Ontario (Canada) and the Philippines. Josephine is one of the RBC Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Awardees. She is also a recipient of the Most Influential Filipina Woman in the World Award (London, UK).
Josephine graduated from Stanford University's Executive Program for Non-Profit Leaders. She also completed her Master of Laws (LLM) degree at the University of Calgary. Complementing her advanced education at Harvard Law School and the University of Toronto, Josephine received the Award of Achievement on Diversity & Inclusion from the University of British Columbia.
Before co-founding Skills4Good/B3, Josephine was Executive Director of the Environmental Law Centre of Alberta. She previously worked as Senior Legal Counsel with the Government of Alberta and as lawyer with the international law firm Baker & McKenzie. Josephine was a former law professor and a columnist of a national business-oriented newspaper who wrote on the complex interaction of business and law issues in the digital economy.
Skills4Good / B3
Matching Talent with Purpose
Skills4Good, formerly B3 Canada, is a social purpose organization driven to help companies win the talent war through skills-based volunteering. Our matchmaking programs match employees with nonprofits using an algorithm-driven, scalable B2B matchmaking platform.
Skills4Good is our new name because we’re amplifying the power of companies to do good globally through skills-based volunteering. We match talent with purpose.
Because of our global clients, we're expanding beyond Canada’s borders into the U.S. and across the world. We’re also expanding beyond nonprofit board matching for senior-level employees. We're providing skills-based volunteering for young and mid-level employees too.
This e-Learning Program forms part of the Skills4Good/B3 Board Matching & Training Program that Skills4Good/B3 provides its large corporate clients. The program is based on Skills4Good/B3’s accredited Continuing Professional Development webinar that we recently produced for the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), the largest professional association representing some 36,000 lawyers, judges, notaries, law teachers and law students from across Canada. Skills4Good/B3 has been approved as an Accredited Provider of Professionalism Content by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Who is this course designed for?
We designed this course for lawyers and professionals who want to learn or even brush up on the practical fundamentals of what a board director needs to know before serving on a nonprofit board. Many professionals want practical information on nonprofit board governance free from academic jargon. They're so busy that they want a high-quality course that self-paced, relatively quick to complete and packed with comprehensive information. They want a high-quality course that’s affordable and easy on the pocket. So we created the "Leaders on Board " program for them. It's practical, convenient and affordable. No prior experience in boards is required.
When will I have access to the course?
Once you enroll in the course, you’ll have immediate access to all the 25 High Definition Videos, 6 quick quizzes, 8 Bonus BoardSource Materials and 6 lists of Additional Resources.
How much time do I need?
It’s a self-guided online course so you can take it at your own pace anytime and anywhere. The course is comprised of 25 High Definition Videos, 6 quick quizzes, 8 Bonus BoardSource Materials and 6 lists of Additional Resources. We designed the program lessons in short segments so that you can take each lesson in about ten minutes or less. It will take about 2.5 hours to 3 hours to complete.
How long can I access the course?
You can access the course for 90 days from the date of your enrollment in the course. If you do not earn your course completion certificate within 90 days, your registration will expire and you will need to pay to re-enroll for the course.
How do I navigate around the course?
After completing each video, click the Next button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This will register that you have completed the video in that particular module.
You can request a full refund or cancellation up to fourteen days after confirmation of your paid enrollment, provided:
- you have not started any lesson in the course or
- you have not downloaded any course materials.
After fourteen days, if you have already started a lesson or have downloaded a course material, you will not be entitled to any refund or cancellation from B3.
Do I receive a certificate of completion?
Yes. After you complete the course, you can request to receive a Certificate of Completion for the course. We will send the certificate to you within 5 business days.
The “Leaders on Board” e-Learning Program is provided for educational purposes only. The Instructor and Building Breakthrough Boards Corp (Skills4Good/B3) have carefully prepared, reviewed and produced the program. Nevertheless, they cannot be held legally responsible for its contents or for any consequences arising from its use. The materials in the program are intended to provide information as well as to facilitate thoughtful reflection. For example, the case studies discussed are intended to illustrate various governance concepts. They cannot be used as professional advice that is applied to specific situations.